Y’all. The internet was just too good this week to hold off posting Link Love until Friday. (That, and the fact that my spin class kicked my butt, and the post I had planned was a bit too time consuming for the weary. The best laid plans…)
One of the highlights of my week thus far was Tuesday night when I headed down town with Alicia to Sterling & Burke, Ltd. for a blogger appreciation cocktail hour co-hosted by Bull + Moose, UrbanStems, and Greenhill Winery and Vineyards. Not only was the store filled with beautiful artwork and even more beautiful leather luggage, I met some awesome DC bloggers and small business owners I can’t wait to get to know better and see around at future events.
Networking at an event like this can be intimidating to a lot of people, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous heading to an event where I only knew one person. But the opportunity to meet new people and form lasting relationships far outweighs any anxiety I had about the situation. Practice makes perfect, and networking is no exception. So if you’re looking for a sign to introduce yourself to a person you admired or head to that professional society cocktail reception after work, consider this it!
Blogging has taught me so much over the past 8 months, and one of the most surprising, yet simple, things is that you can have anything you want in life, you just have to go after it. Sure, people and opportunities will come to you from time to time—but no one will look out for you better or pitch you better than, well, you!
And with that food for thought in mind, let’s hop to it, shall we?
- I loved Hallie’s “29 Lessons I’ve Learned in my 20s”—especially #5: There are seven days in a week. “Someday” is not one of them. Start (or continue) living the life you want to be living — immediately.
- This article on building in the age of superstorms piqued my interest with the amazing visuals.
- My favorite Black Friday purchase.
- As someone who dines out more than I like to admit, this economist’s six rules of dining out to maximize your investment really struck a cord.
- The net worth of US Presidents slideshow reaffirmed the fact that I am a history nerd.
- A brilliant gadget so your phone never dies on you again.
- I made this Crockpot BBQ Chicken for dinner on Sunday, and it’s definitely going in the menu rotation.