Hey y’all—HAPPY FRIDAY! Don’t you just love short weeks? This work week really flew by, and I think next week will too as I have so many meetings already on the calendar.
I am excited because today, both Washington, DC and nearby Northern Virginia enter into phase one of reopening. I know that this decision brings about a range of emotion—nervousness, anxiety, and maybe even anger from some. I think as we begin to reopen more places across the country, it’s so important to respect others decisions about how to handle this continuously evolving environment. I have friends that are ready to get back out in the world and I have friends that are choosing to stay home and see how things play out—and I totally understand both courses of action. My friend Heather said it well in her blogpost yesterday, “I believe we’re at a point where you have to do what you’re comfortable with, while also mitigating risk as much as possible.”
That being said, I’m ready to get outside of the four walls of my apartment, and will be taking advantage of some of the loosened restrictions, while also being as safe as possible—maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask, washing my hands like a crazy person. Tonight, I’m going with some family (my sister and her roommate, my cousin—I’ve been seeing them some the last two months; living alone is very isolating and I touched a bit on this in Tuesday’s post) to The Lot in Clarendon for a drink. It’s all outside and we’ll socially distance from other patrons and wear masks—a small price to pay to keep everyone safe. But, y’all, I am so excited to enjoy a drink al fresco at a proper establishment—TGIF indeed! Then, later this weekend, I made an appointment to get my hair cut for the first time since December. My hair stylist sent out a notice about her practices, and it seems like they are taking great care with everything. She works in her own loft, not in a large salon, so that also makes me feel better about things. We’ll see how it goes.
I hope you all have a great weekend, whatever you’re up to! x
- Hamilton will stream on Disney+ on July 3.
- TJ and Lauren Oshie’s McLean mansion is stunning.
- Elaine Welteroth looked gorgeous at her stoop wedding.
- Jessica Alba’s self-care beauty routine.
- The house dress is back and we are here for it.
- Some last looks at the Old Alderman library.
- I need to try Victoria’s Tex Mex salsa recipe ASAP!
- I loved Carrie Underwood’s and Mike Fisher’s I Am Second video.
- The summer rental market is going nuts as people book vacation homes.
For the time being, I’m also going to share some of the most interesting articles I read as it relates to COVID-19. I’ll separate them out into a different section so that if you’re pulling back from COVID-related news, they are easy to skip! So here’s all the links relating to that:
- In one of the world’s largest slums, coronavirus leads to a struggle to survive.
- These American brands might not survive Coronavirus.
- Even as New Orleans reopens, tourists and residents are hesitant to return.
- So you really want to see your friends? Here’s how to assess the risk.
- Where New Yorkers moved to escape Coronavirus.
- Rome’s restaurants reopen but will diners return?
- A quarantine journal from a single father.
- Quarantine fatigue is real.
- Why does reopening polarize us?
- The Queen remains in lockdown, but other royals are preparing for normal life.
- Florida theme parks are trying to salvage summer, but the experience will look different.
- Arlington restaurants can expand outdoor seating to sidewalks and parking lots.
And here’s what’s new on TOT:
- My Favorite Rosé Wines Under $30
- A Cute Floral Maxi for Summer
- 5 Distractions I’m Loving Right Now, 5/25
- Should I Get a Cricut? And Other Thoughts I’ve Had During Quarantine
- Do You Still Use Pinterest?
- 5 Distractions I’m Loving Right Now, 5/18
- 5 Distractions I’m Loving Right Now, 5/11
- A Day in the Life: Quarantine Edition