Y’all, consider it a small miracle that this post is up, because I am spending EVERY SINGLE SPARE MINUTE I HAVE tearing through Where the Crawdads Sing. (A live shot of me reading above, hah!) I’m kicking myself now for putting off reading it for so long since everyone loves it, but for some reason, I thought it’d be too poetic or too nature-y for my liking. My coworker passed along her hardcopy to me and I threw it in my bag to read on the Metro. Within a chapter or two, I was hooked, and I’ve spent every spare moment of the last two days reading it. I have 100 pages left, and part of me is so excited to curl up tonight and finish it, and part of me is sad it’s going to be over. (A full recap of all the books I read in July coming your way next week!)
This weekend, I am heading Durham, North Carolina (which, technically, is my hometown!) to celebrate my Grandma’s 90th birthday with my family! The past few years, I’ve really only made it to Durham once a year for Christmas, so it will be so nice to return in the summer. We’re throwing her a party on Saturday night—the theme is party like it’s 1929, only we’re not pretending it’s still prohibition—and I’m excited to celebrate and give a little toast in honor of one of the most impactful people in my life. (Spoiler alert, I still have yet to write said speech since I’ve been all in on Where the Crawdads Sing, but I always work best under pressure.)
I hope you all have the best weekend, and if you need a book to read, might I recommend Where the Crawdads Sing?! x
- A great look at the history of spots on The Corner at UVA.
- Are you rich? This income-rank quiz by the NYT is fascinating!
- How polio inspired the creation of Candy Land.
- Europe’s cities weren’t built for this kind of heat.
- A very Brady renovation unites the Brady Bunch cast.
- The Crown season three: everything we know so far.
- Can any company be a tech company? The unlikely journey of sweetgreen salad.
- The man with the golden airline ticket.
- With Barney’s in financial trouble, can iconic department stores be saved?
- I am obsessed with following the renovation of Danascara Place!
- I loved Khloe Kardashian’s Vogue makeup tutorial.
- Simone Biles continues to push the boundaries of gymnastics.
- Health insurers make it easy for scammers to steal. Who pays? You.
- A fascinating look at what’s like to be an app delivery man.
- I loved how low key the Dutch King and Queen were playing tourist in NYC.
- Elizabeth Smart is truly one of the most inspiring people.
And here’s what’s been new on TOT lately: