Happy, happy, happy Friday! I had a really busy week at my day job and am so glad things are wrapped up ahead of the weekend so I can just relax. (I spent a lot of time anxious about work last weekend—which is never worth it, because whenever I get back to my desk on Monday, I can always work through whatever problem is on my plate.)
Yesterday on my way to work, I cried on the Metro—but not about work. I was reading about the 75th anniversary of D-Day. The largest amphibious assault ever, so many gave life and limb so we could live in the freedom we have today. As more people who were alive to witness the tremendous bravery or serve on June 6, 1944 pass away, it’s more important than ever that we remember. A friend posted these two quotes on Facebook, and they really moved me, so I wanted to share here today:
“The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.” — General Dwight D. Eisenhower’s message to the troops before the invasion, 1944
“They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate.” — President Franklin D. Roosevelt on a radio broadcast, June 6, 1944
Truly the greatest generation.
This weekend should be a fun one—tonight I am going to see the Bad On Paper live show here in DC at City Winery! For those of you unfamiliar, Bad on Paper is an amazing podcast where Grace and Becca talk about books and interview guests around a variety of topics—friendships, career, fashion, beauty, dating. I’ve long been a fan of Grace’s blog and so I am really excited to see her and Becca live tonight with a few girlfriends. It’s also Captial Pride here in DC, and so tomorrow I am going to a Pride brunch one of my favorite spin instructors is hosting and then we’re heading downtown to watch the parade. My neighborhood is really the heart of the Pride celebration here in DC, and it’s been really fun to see all the restaurants and businesses put up rainbow displays.
This is my last weekend in town until early July, and as y’all know, I usually get a lot of my blog work done on weekends. So like the lazy dog days of summer, things might be slower around here for a bit, but I’ll pop in when I can! I hope your summer is off to a great start and that you have a great weekend! x
- Inside General Eisenhower’s sleepless night ahead of the D-Day invasion.
- A great read on female friendships and the things that matter.
- Arii has over 2 million followers—so why did her clothing line fail?
- A $4 million apartment with no doorknobs: inside the Plaza’s plagued renovation.
- How Ikea recreated famous TV living rooms, boosting traffic to its products 50%.
- Assad urged Syrian refugees to come home. Many are being welcomed with arrest.
- Royal wedding alert! Princess Grace’s granddaughter Charlotte is married.
- Kodi Lee on America’s Got Talent is amazing.
- What did Olivia Jade know and when did she know it?
- Restaurants in stores are trendy again, but their goal is as old as ever.
- A murder trial years in the making: 3 deaths and why Ashton Kutcher’s knock went unanswered.
- Sweetgreen to provide five months of paid parental leave.
- Tips from a bartender on what you’re doing wrong on a first date.
- Former press secretary to William and Harry dishes on what the brothers are like.
And here’s what’s been new lately on A Touch of Teal:
- How I Organize My Small Closet
- 24 Hours in Virginia’s Northern Neck
- The Lemon Dress I Bought from an Instagram Ad
- 48 Hours in Chicago
- Dinner Club: The Capital Burger
- Dinner Club: Compass Rose
PS—the first photo in this post are “outtakes” from this post last year. I’m not sure why I didn’t post them then, maybe it was because I wanted every photo in the post against the same background? But it just goes to show we are our own worst critics. One thing I’ve really been working on lately is being nicer to myself. I’ve been trying to focus on the things I love about myself instead of the things I hate. We’re all works in progress!
Thanks for including my post in t his great roundup!!! xxx
Thank you for writing it! x