Happy Thursday! Who’s excited football season is finally here?
Even though my alma mater, the University of Virginia, lost their home opener last weekend, I have high hopes for this year. While I am definitely a basketball fan first and foremost, I’m not one to say no to a good tailgate or football viewing party. My roommate and I love hosting people, and during the fall, it’s hard to beat an afternoon of chips and dips served alongside seasonal brews.
Now that we have a new “grown up” apartment with much more cabinet space, it was high time to upgrade our serving ware from disposable containers to pieces we can use season after season. That’s where Mud Pie comes in. You may know them for their classic, preppy apparel, but their home goods and game day selections are my favorite sections on their website this time of year to stock up on all my tailgating needs.
It’s no secret I love Mexican food, so this Mud Pie salsa double dip allows me to share two of my favorite recipes with friends and family. And since I am a true product of the Mid Atlantic, no pregame party is complete without crab dip, and this super cute chip-n-dip is the epitome of form and function.
Of course, I know how hard it can be to find easy tailgate appetizer ideas that are crowd pleasers and don’t take a lot of time to prep. There’s only so many Trader Joe’s party meatballs you can eat in a season. So, keep reading for three recipes I come back to time-and-time again: my corn, black bean, and feta dip; a Texan-approved hot salsa; and a cajun crab dip.
CORN, BLACK BEAN, AND FETA DIP //
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 cans shopeg corn, drained and rinsed
1 can back beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green chilis
1 clove garlic
6 green onions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 avacado, chopped (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in the order they are listed.
- Let stand for at least half an hour prior to serving. Drain any excess liquid and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
HOT MEXICAN SALSA //
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 jalapeño peppers
1 medium white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, halved
2 cans (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
4 sprigs of fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. With a sharp knife, pierce jalapeño and cook 15-20 minutes until peppers are blistered.
- Place cooked jalapeños in a bowl, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. Once cool to the touch, peel skins and remove stems and seeds.
- Place garlic and onion in food processor and pulse. I have found my Ninja Express Chop works great for this. Add in tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeños, and salt to taste. Process until desired consistency is achieved.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
CAJUN CRAB DIP //
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayo—I use light mayo.
2 tablespoons cajun seasoning—I use this one, but your local grocery should have options.
1 teaspoon Old Bay
1 lb. lump crab meat
1/4 cup shredded cheese—I use pepper jack.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cream cheese, mayo, and spices using handheld or stand mixer.
- Once thoroughly mixed together, fold in crab meat gently.
- Place mixture in an oven-safe pan and bake for 30-minutes, or until edges are brown.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes prior to serving and enjoy! I usually serve this dip with multigrain crackers and multigrain bread.
Thank you to Mud Pie for gifting me items for this post. As always, opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep A Touch of Teal’s doors open.