One of the hardest parts of transitioning to the working world—okay that might be an exaggeration—for me was changing my wardrobe from college gal to professional gal.
My first stab at this closet makeover was the summer I worked at Glamour. It’s no surprise that pocket t-shirts, Nike shorts, and Rainbows—my everyday class attire—did not count as business casual attire, so off to J Crew I went.
Of course, working in the same building as Anna Wintour caused a little anxiety about what to stock up on—does everyone wear sunglasses indoors? Are Chanel skirt suits the norm? Does everyone wear heels? (No, no, yes for those keeping track at home).
Needless to say, when I arrived on the first day and the HR girls were wearing purple pants, I’m glad I saved some of my shopping budget to stock up on the trends en vogue at Conde.
Fast forward a year, and I had to reinvent my professional wardrobe once again—real estate developers haven’t exactly picked up on the purple pants trend…yet (a girl can hope, right?). Luckily for me, my team now is stock full of fashionable twenty-somethings and I quickly learned the best places to buy the work essentials.
Whether it’s painless pumps or the perfect pant you’re after—I’ve got you covered with my wear-to-work favorites.
1. Nine West Black Pumps—a classic shape that hold up well over the years, and best of all, don’t hurt!
2. Marc Jacobs Watch—an understated statement piece. Practicality is just a bonus.
3. Pearl Stud Earrings—they go with everything.
4. Banana Republic Sloan Pants—I live in these during the winter and am so glad they come in so many colors. Slim fitting and comfy, they work on a lot of different body types. If you’re looking for a similar fit, but don’t love the Sloan, check out the J Crew Minnie pant.
5. Express Portofino Shirt—this is the best shirt ever. It’s perfect year round, washes great, and comes in every color under the sun. Not to mention, there’s always a buy one, get one deal going on.
6. Structured Leather Bag—I love bringing big, structured bags to work because they are super chic yet large enough to hold all my stuff.
7. J Crew Suiting Blazer—the perfect way to go from day to night is to wear a super cute outfit, throw a blazer on for day and then leave it behind for happy hour.
I’d love to know—what are your wear-to-work favorites?