Happy Friday! Before we get started with today’s round up of links, I want to ask you a question: how many times in the past week have you used your phone?
If you’re like me, chances are that number is A LOT! That’s why when Kim reached out to me about her charitable cellphone case company, Kidogo Kidogo—which translates to “little by little” in Swahili—I knew I had to tell you guys about it.
In Tanzania, only 36% of women own mobile phones, and the number one reason preventing them from ownership is the initial cost of a mobile handset. A mobile phone is a flashlight, a watch, a calculator, a camera and a radio. In Tanzania mobile banking is extremely common, and a phone provides women a way to make secure banking transactions. Mobile phones are also used monitor consumer markets and receive health reminders and updates. Women with mobile phones also report a much higher feeling of personal safety than those without.
So, now that we know the problem, what exactly does Kidogo Kidogo do to help? In short, they sell phone cases. But these cases do a lot more than just look good and protect your phone—they are putting life changing mobile technology into the hands of women across Tanzania, who could not otherwise afford it. The profits made from selling phone cases go to the purchase and donations of mobile phones. So if you’re in the market for a new iPhone or Android case, definitely consider Kidogo Kidogo—my favorite is the elephants marching one, shown above.
And now, onto my favorite finds across the Internet this week:
- Remember Ross and Rachel’s baby Emma? (I mean, of course you do.) Here’s what the twin actresses who played her look like today.
- A great, thought-provoking read on mothers in the workplace.
- Kate Spade is expanding their home line, and I for one am excited.
- What was the number one song on the day you were born? (Mine was ‘Love Takes Time’ by Mariah Carey.)
- I am seriously considering buying this headboard. Let me know your thoughts on fabric color!
- The untold story of Monopoly’s tiny houses and hotels. (Growing up, I was always the thimble.)
- Major apartment envy alert: check out Amy Stone’s well-curated digs.
- Need some stock photos for work? I’d recommend these ;].
- Want to try Rocksbox free for a month? Use the code atouchoftealxoxo!
And in case you missed it, here’s where the fun has been on A Touch of Teal is week: